Ripley’s Believe It Or Not! is bringing The Force to Times Square yet again! This time around Ripley’s Times Square is displaying the original lightsaber used by Mark Hamill, Luke Skywalker himself, on the set of The Empire Strikes Back.
In honor of #StarWarsAtRipleys, we’ve put together 5 unbelievable facts about the Star Wars universe.
1. In the film The Empire Strikes Back, the shots where Luke uses his Jedi powers to retrieve his lightsaber from a distance were achieved by having Mark Hamill throw the lightsaber away and then running the film in reverse!
2. E.T.’s alien species are part of the Star Wars universe. They are part of the Galactic Senate in a scene from Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace.
3. Chewbacca’s voice is a mix of bears, walruses, lions, badgers and other animals.
4. In the Star Wars universe, lightsabers are crafted from kyber crystals which are originally colorless and later take on a color based on the user.
5. During early versions of Return of the Jedi, George Lucas proposed the idea of ending the movie with Luke removing Darth Vader’s mask, putting it on, and proclaiming “Now I am Vader.” This idea was ultimately scrapped because Lucas wanted a happy ending!
Come get a first-hand look at a truly iconic movie prop while you still can! Luke Skywalker’s lightsaber will be on display at Ripley’s Believe It Or Not! Times Square until October 31, 2018. Get your tickets today!